Saturday 24 May 2014

Canny. Uncanny.

Something is afoot.
It could be momentous.
It's certainly strange.

Today it rained and rained.
I decided from the start that I had too many staff on duty, many of whom rang in to ask if I really needed them? So we were just four. A few wet walkers came for coffee. A handful of Court visitors warmed up with tea. We were so quiet that I made two lemon drizzle cakes. One of our number went home and then we were three.
I commented that we wouldn't need to make soup tomorrow morning as we had hardly made a dent in today's pea and mint.
I made this comment and less than five minutes later a group of 16 people walked in, shook the rain from their hair and umbrellas and ordered 16 soup. In fact, all of the soup we had left.
Someone was mocking me.
The group organiser came to pay the bill and told me how he'd once left his wallet on a counter and walked away. I told him that last season a lady left her bag and all its contents - 'phone, wallet, driver's licence etc and didn't realise until she got home to Bradford and found a message from us on her answer phone.
The group left to see the fountain. A minute later we found a lady's handbag in the conservatory where the party had eaten.
Someone was having a laugh.
I ran after them to return the bag and on the way back cooked up a plan.
"I've never won the lottery" I said aloud, hoping that the mocking, laughing someone would take the bait....


No comments:

Post a Comment