Wednesday 15 October 2014

Free and Easy

One of the jobs on my winter list is always to try new cake recipes.
This year will be slightly different because one of my sons was diagnosed this year with coeliac disease so I am becoming obsessed with gluten-free baking.
And despite not yet being closed for winter I have begun in earnest.
We've always offered gluten-free cake at the tea rooms and we have a great choice on most days - carrot (with orange and sultana), lemon & poppyseed, banana (which we drizzle with a toffee sauce) and ginger & lemon. Then there's the chocolate & praline cluster which makes an appearance on occasions. Good occasions.
Last week a regular visitor suggested a lemon drizzle cake she'd found which is made with mashed potato. I got over the initial (ridiculous) revulsion and made it at home. Utterly delicious. It's a Good Food recipe easily found online.
Then yesterday I made a gf pumpkin cake with a cream cheese topping. Way too good to be seen as a second-class citizen of the cake world.
And grating pumpkin flesh is rather satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment