Tuesday 2 May 2017

Indomitable

What a woman.
She wore a floor length, purple, corduroy coat. She leant lightly on a stick but was tall and upright with a twinkle in her eye.
She made a joke about her husband when I greeted her at the door and I liked her instantly.
Later, as she waited for her lunch, I was standing at a nearby table, reserving it for a lady in a wheelchair on her way in. I was looking towards the door.
"Are you looking at me?" said long purple coated lady. I replied that actually I was waiting for a customer to come to take the table.
"Good," she said, "I don't much like being looked at. And I don't like it when those people at church ask me how I am. Do you know what I say?"
I didn't.
"I tell them to mind their own business."
Yes. Quite a force of nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment