Tuesday 26 June 2018

Eins zwei drei

We appear to be living through a heatwave. This may be the summer. It’s hard to tell how long it will last but it’s been with us a while and looking at the photos of the Tearooms in the snow makes me feel very odd. Surely it can’t have been that cold.
On Sunday we had our celebrity visitor for the year (we’re lucky if we get one. I was unlucky not to be there to see him in the flesh.)
Mark Williams came for a cup of tea and was manhandled to the visitors’ book.

Today a coach of Austrian tourists took us by surprise. They were lovely and their English was as limited as my German. Our system of giving each person a numbered wooden spoon to identify them was in disarray. Every time we went out and shouted a number they all waved their spoon at us. Until I resorted to shouting the numbers in German.
They sat at the tables we’d reserved for Shrawley Horticultural Society’s cream teas but left just in time.
A man at the top of the garden called me over to ask if I knew the name of a particular plant? He pointed to it. I told him I had very poor knowledge but wasn’t it a yucca? No, he told me, yuccas are smaller. I suggested I go to ask the aforementioned Horticultural Society members who by now had eaten their way through their 22 scones. One of them went over to answer his question and he seemed satisfied.
A little later I asked what the plant was.
“It’s a yucca” said John.
I should have said it with more confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment