Sunday 30 September 2018

Fake news

Today was fib-to-your-children day.
I took a coffee and a piece of fruit cake to a man with a very young son. He would have been no more than 3, I reckon.
As I put the cake on the table dad said to his little boy, “Look at that big piece of chocolate cake.”
I opened my mouth to correct him and he winked at me.
Making me a full accomplice in the untruth.

Later in the afternoon I overheard a conversation at the till.
A mother was saying to Olivia (who was serving), “Ah, so you only sell ice cream in the summer?” She said it in a very deliberate way, quite loudly and slowly. Olivia has only worked with us for a short time and I sidled up to her to tell her that we do indeed have plenty of ice cream.
Olivia gave me a meaningful look.
I backed off.
The mother then explained to her young daughter that she couldn’t have ice cream because we didn’t have any. She too had used a wink to involve Olivia in the deception.
Brazen. Bare faced.
Clever.


No comments:

Post a Comment