Saturday 30 July 2011

Never did run smooth

It's happened. I've been asked for a "flat white" coffee. A cyclist couple arrived in need of cake (they had two pieces each). She wanted tea. He coffee. I thought I'd better check before I made my first one - what is it? "Dunno" he said, "just make whatever, it'll be fine". I'm certain what I made him was not, in fact, a flat white which I now think is pretty much a double-shot frothy latte. But he drank it.
The first person through the door yesterday made me laugh. He was wearing a Tshirt which said: There are three types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't.

Then in late afternoon, the event of the day:
A girl left her 'phone number on a piece of paper on one of the tables. It was addressed to "the blonde haired waiter" and signed from "the girl in the blue shirt". Unfortunately for her we have two blonde 17 year old waiters, both of whom were working yesterday.
She's going to have to be more specific.

5 comments:

  1. An Australian writes: A flat white has a single shot of espresso, the remainder being warmed milk topped with a minimal amount of foam or crema. It is served in a standard-sized coffee cup. A large flat white is served in a very large cup or mug and has two espresso shots.

    But don't just take my word for it: http://www.bestcafes.com.au/types-of-coffee

    HTH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant. Thank you. I thought it was Australian...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Gill
    Sometimes I have a look at your blog, its really good! I thought about you when I recently did a one day barrista course (to occupy myself as a "desperate" housewife - as my dad used to call me - and learnt all about flat white and other coffees. Lara is recovering well from her op and cupcakes did definitely play a therapeutic role in her recovery (she baked it already in hospital with the occupational therapist!). Missing you all lots love Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Chris, how lovely to hear from you. We've been hearing news of Lara from Granny. That barista course will be handy for me if you come back from Oz for a visit. Love to all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm curious to learn if either blonde 17 year old waiter phoned the girl in the blue shirt!?! Has a romance blossomed!!?

    ReplyDelete