Thursday 8 September 2011

Day of the Foxtrot

Two ladies came at 11.20 and sat chatting in the conservatory with coffee, soup and millionaire's shortbread.
They were the only people with us for AGES.
I busied myself trying to work out how on earth my new phone works.
One of the ladies ordered a second cappuccino.
After delivering it I went back to my phone (out of sight I hasten to add).
Then. Oh my. One couple, then another, then a group of 5 for lunch, two soups here, two teacakes there, suddenly we were full and I was racing from main room to kitchen to conservatory trying to set another filter going and make hot chocolates while taking another order and preparing panini.
As quickly as it started it stopped.
We cleared up and were out by 5.30.
My phone remains a mystery.


Overheard last week from an English Heritage staff member who'd just completed a check of the site and fountain and was relaying bad news via his 2-way radio:
"The nereids aren't even dribbling."
I had to look it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment