Saturday 10 December 2016

Diet

During the season we sell lots of Ruby's fudge.
Ruby is superwoman when it comes to fudge. She makes it, packs it, delivers or posts it and it's always delicious. She also makes loads of different flavours. Ever tried Christmas Pudding fudge?
Naturally this time of year is particularly busy so, when the tearooms close, I offer be an extra pair of hands whenever needed.
I'm sure she is concerned I would eat my body weight in the stuff and seriously dent any profits but this year she has finally taken me up on it.
Last week I stood for three hours in the deli of a local garden centre wearing an apron.
I offered tasters of various flavours to visitors who were scanning shelves for Christmas goodies and gifts.
And I learned a lot.
I learned that most people (like me) really love fudge but there are a few who don't carry the gene.
"I prefer cheese" said at least two who didn't even want to try it.
One man told me his dad had been in dental research and hadn't given his kids anything with sugar in until they were five years old. Result: no sweet tooth. Lucky man.
Then there are those who stood chatting and hoovering up the samples - three different flavours.
And my favourite of all, those who commented: "it's very sweet, isn't it?"
It's full of sugar. There's no getting away with it. Besides, I'd be VERY disappointed if it weren't sweet.
We sold out of Christmas Pudding flavour,  Brandy and Cranberry & Lemon Meringue.
I didn't eat too much.
Honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment