Saturday 17 June 2017

It's the small things.

We are in a proper heatwave.
It's 28 degrees. The tables are being dragged under the trees where the temperature is bearable.
There's a gardening event at the Court and in early afternoon the head gardener, Jasmine, rushed into the tearoom asking if we had a spare black apron she could borrow.
One of the English Heritage staff had split his trousers and needed a pinny to cover up. That's a first.

A lovely couple came in the late afternoon. There were no tables free so they pulled up a third chair to act as a table for their tray of goodies. When I took their order out I brought them one of our small bench tables to use instead.
"You are as kind as you are beautiful," he commented.
I rolled my eyes.
She told me he hadn't changed his patter for forty years.
"Well it won you over," he told her, "so it clearly works."

Then there was the party of eleven who came for a birthday high tea. The birthday girl was sixty and actually she wanted coffee.
I took her an americano, as requested.
She looked thrilled when she saw it and practically clapped her hands: "it's in A MUG" she said to all, "I can't bear it in a cup".
Happy Birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment