Monday 26 June 2017

Cornered

On Saturday I attended The Mockingbird Ball, the launch of The Anna Wilkinson Mockingbird Trust a new charity with which I'm very proud to be involved. The Ball was the culmination of almost a year's planning and I wanted to enjoy every last minute of it.
And so it was that I finally got to bed at 3am.
Yesterday was therefore a little, erm, tricky. Lots of the tearooms staff had gone to the ball; those of us who had to work the following morning were propped up by those who hadn't.
I felt fine. Just a little tired. I realised just how tired when I had a conversation in the garden in late afternoon.
A couple was asking about the walled garden, the grounds etc. I am asked these questions a good deal so I say the same things a lot. I was telling them about the walled garden which goes round the former gardeners' cottages.
I went on: "if you walk over to where that bench is you'll see a perfect rectangle which was a tennis court."
They looked surprised. They looked confused.
"Really?" they asked, shaking heads, "how did that work?"
Which made me play back the last words I said in my own head.
I had substituted "rectangle" with "triangle".

We spent the next ten minutes devising rules for a new 3-player game which we've decided to call Trennis.

No comments:

Post a Comment