Tuesday 4 July 2017

This is the time of year when we sell local produce on the counter. For the past few weeks we've had bundles of asparagus. Now that season is over we've moved onto punnets of dark red cherries and gooseberries. We sell lots of both.
The sight of the gooseberries in particular often raises a smile and a comment that they're not seen much anymore...

I love days like this. A random Tuesday outside of the main school holidays can yield interesting visitors.
We had a family from Norway who apparently come to stay locally every year.
Then came the gorgeous Lithuanian couple who couldn't resist a punnet of gooseberries. I felt I should warn them that they're not sweet (after an Italian couple last week thought they were grapes). They told me they LOVE gooseberries and haven't seen them at all since coming to the UK: "Every grandmother in Lithuania has a gooseberry bush in the garden" they told me before eating them raw.
Today's book entries with odd splodge


Today I made my first Elderflower Cake. It won't be the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment