Monday 4 September 2023

Without Fire

2023 is proving such an odd season. 

Lots and lots of rain. Lots and lots of wasps. And now, as September arrives, the sunshine turns up.

Finally the weather apps and websites are in agreement and the gazebos can stay up in the garden without us being in fear of storms or gusts. Unless they’re all wrong of course.

Today was the third in a row that we ran out of our panini rolls. Yes, I did order more. Every day. So tomorrow I’ve ordered even more. Let’s see how that goes.

Yesterday I advised a man that we don’t allow smoking in the garden. He nodded and carried on. I watched him as I cleared tables in the garden and all the while I was there he continued to smoke. 

After his lunch he lit another cigarette. I girded my loins and approached again. “Just a reminder, sir, that we ask you not to smoke in the garden.”

“I’ll be finishing this one” he said.

“You finished the last one,” I countered.

“I didn’t actually,” he said, “I put it out”.

I lost. He won. 


1 comment: