Thursday 5 August 2010

Cast Off

A Knit 'n' Natter group came today for tea and cake. Mainly millionaire's shortbread. I told them they should be done under the trades description act. Not one of them had brought their knitting. I told them they reminded me of my book group.
This morning a very English older man and his wife came for coffee and cake. He was, rather incongrously, wearing a dark grey hooded sweatshirt emblazoned with SFPD.
"Are you in the San Francisco Police Department?" I asked. Really I was joking. I assumed he'd bought it on holiday. He looked shocked. He asked me how I knew that's what it stood for?
His wife said their son had lived in the States for years but had recently become a citizen and joined the San Francisco police: "It's his mid-life crisis, " she said rolling her eyes. "And this is mine" I said, gesturing around the tea room.

No comments:

Post a Comment