Sunday 16 October 2011

Crossed Wires

It began a lovely bright, chilly autumn day and warmed up significantly in the afternoon.
The coach party went well. We'd had a call from the driver, Mike, en route from Cheshire to tell us what everyone wanted to eat: soup and sandwiches. He also said that a few of them had brought their own lunches but may want tea and cake...
"That's fine of course," I said, "so long as they know that we don't allow people to eat their own food in the tea rooms."
Silence.
There are picnic areas in the Court, or they can eat on the coach," I continued, "and I did mention this yesterday to the coach company."
"I didn't know any of that," Mike said, "and I don't know what to tell them. How are they going to eat their soup?"
Once the confusion had been recognised we laughed about it.

I had lots of pleasant conversations with visitors - about the china, the weather, the Church, the plants, the Winter closing.
And then someone said: "Well if we don't see you before, have a nice Christmas."

No comments:

Post a Comment