Thursday 18 October 2012


One of the last customers today was an older man wearing sunglasses. He took them off to look at the cakes but put them back on again to make his way to his table.
He told me that 3 months ago he fell asleep while a passenger in a car and when he woke up he'd not only lost the peripheral vision on one side but that sunlight hurt his eyes. I stood in from of him and slightly to the side: "I can only see half of your nose," he said.  Which is plenty from my point of view.
He's hopeful that his sight will get sorted but in the meantime he has to teach his brain how to read in an entirely different way. And of course he can't drive any more.
One of the gardeners at the Court detached his retina a couple of months ago and is on a slow road back to health, desperate to be back at work.
Mental note to appreciate my sight and to stop complaining that, as a well-over-forty year old, I can't stray far from my reading specs.
Another mental note that for some people 2012 was not all about the Olympics, the Jubilee and the rain. Other things go on in people's lives.

Have bought first pumpkin for soup. £3. I think they're more expensive than last year.
But then again, what isn't?

No comments:

Post a Comment