Saturday 13 June 2015

What it's all about

Three conversations today made me smile.

I was clearing a table in the conservatory as a couple was leaving:
"I can't think why we haven't been here before," said she, "it's lovely."
"Are you local, then?" I asked.
"No we're from Newbury in Berkshire" came the reply. Which I felt suggested exactly why they may not have been to us before....

The second was a conversation I have at least once a week. Usually with a man.
It goes something like this:
Him: a hot chocolate and a coffee please?
Me: what sort of coffee would you like? Latte, cappuccino, filter, mocha, americano?
Him: Oh god.

And then there's Jim who always makes my day. This week he's 91. He looks strong as an ox, has a broad smile and an indescribable charm. Ten family members from 3 generations came for scones and cake to celebrate his birthday. Jim had both and took cake home as well. Their laughter rang round the tea rooms which was otherwise pretty quiet. It had not been a busy day (it had rained and rained and rained).
When he came in I introduced him to a lady at the next table who's celebrating her 80th tomorrow. Neither of them look their age.
Both of them ate cake.
There is hope for me yet.



No comments:

Post a Comment