Tuesday 29 March 2016

Riders in a Storm

Bank Holiday Monday was very different from previous Easter Mondays.
We were busy but certainly not overrun.
We didn't run out of anything.
We chatted to customers.
No one waited very long for their orders.
We had time to refill the drinks fridge and the cake display.
It was strange and very pleasant.

On Friday I wanted to shut up shop. Yesterday I was very happy to be back.

I had arrived to the sound of loud but distant engine roars.
Easter Monday is the Redmarley Freak Hill Climb , always well attended even on the wettest of Bank Holidays.
On Sunday a group of ten people had come in for lunch and cake & told us that they always come to Witley for this particular weekend. They pointed to a lovely looking young man (how old do I sound?): "He rides in the hill climb," they said, "Actually, he won it last year."
No mean feat. The hill is practically vertical.
Storm Katie was due and I asked where they were staying. "We're in caravans up there," they said, "but there are plenty of people in tents." I wonder if they lasted the night in them....

No comments:

Post a Comment