Sunday 18 September 2016

Bird Lover

I'm currently selling tickets to a fundraising event involving a talk in the village from a very good naturalist.
Brett Westwood (for it is he) knows a lot about wildlife but especially birds. He's written hundreds of scripts for the rather popular Tweet of the Day on BBC Radio 4.
Last week a couple arrived and commented on the difficulty they'd had walking from the Court to us. She has a back problem and wasn't relishing the return walk so I offered them a lift to their car.
He declined and said he'd walk over to the car park and get it himself, that he does a lot of walking and enjoys it.
I saw my chance and told them about the talk on 1st October.
"Well, he does like birds," she commented, "and of course he married one."
I laughed, thinking Carry On.
She went on: "No really, he did. My maiden name was Bird."
I asked what she'd traded Bird for?
She looked downcast and her lip curled a little as she said: "Glover".
"It's lover with a G," he added.
I felt he might have used that line before?
"His dad used it all the time," said the former Miss Bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment