Monday 26 September 2016

Opportunity Knocks (& isn't answered)

Earlier this summer I volunteered for a sort of trial thing. It was being run by the University of Worcester and the Trust Me I'm A Doctor programme on BBC telly.
I was one of sixty volunteers asked to eat a gluten-free diet for six weeks. We were all given two different sorts of pasta. We included pasta 1 in our diet for two weeks of the six and pasta 2 for another two weeks. The middle two weeks we were left to our own devices while remaining gluten-free.

When we all picked up our bags of pasta and were given our instructions a cameraman was floating around but the bulk of the filming was at the end of the trial and done in late August. I couldn't make filming day.

The programme aired two weeks ago.
As it went out I was in a pub saying goodbye to one of our wonderful members of staff who's made it on to a graduate accountancy trainee scheme.
My phone started to buzz with texts. When I got home there were Facebook messages.
All from friends saying they'd seen me on the telly.

I watched it back, of course. A fleeting glimpse is how best to describe it. I am sitting chatting to another volunteer.
Since it aired I have had dozens of people at the tearoom asking if it was me they saw on the tv?

I wish now I'd been wearing a Garden Tea Rooms t-shirt or apron.
Five weeks left of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment