Sunday 10 March 2019

Moving the goalposts.

If you are planning to come to the tearooms when we reopen at the end of this month, please do not look too carefully at the chairs I’ve been painting.
I have just finished chair 17 of 28.
The process has taught me a lot about myself, none of it good.
My original plan was to rub down and paint 35.
I finished 8 and decided to switch to a darker paint.
I didn’t love the lighter paint so I came up with a theory (to convince myself) that it would be good to have a mixture of light and dark grey and that dark grey would be harder wearing.
Then I discovered that the dark grey paint needs two coats so takes a lot longer, plus the chairs don’t seem properly painted even after two coats. So after just five chairs I’ve given that up and changed back to dove grey which I have decided I do love now. Mainly because it doesn’t take hours to finish just one.
I’ve also come up with another theory (I’m good at theories which lessen my workload) that I only need 28 chairs for the main tearoom so I’ll use them there instead of the 35 needed for the conservatory.
In a nutshell: I am lazy. I can’t paint. I hate rubbing down chairs. I wish I’d never started.

Out of 28 chairs 5 of them will be a different colour.
Eventually I shall come up with a valid reason for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment