Friday 30 May 2014

Maple Maypole

My ruse didn't work. I didn't win the lottery.
Which is fine because I wouldn't have been able to concentrate and there was so much to concentrate on this week.
Yesterday was grumpy husband day.
One man sat in the garden. His wife came in to order.
When I took out their cream teas he looked at her and said, "What's this?"
She answered that it was a scone and immediately took the cream away, "you're not allowed that" she said, "and there's no such thing as cake that's good for you, that's the best I could do."
I told them that in future they could ask for our "virtuous cake". It's a cider bread with lower sugar content (apart from the fruit) and no fat (unless you cover it with the butter we serve alongside it).
He said he'd try that next time...

Then there were the Australian couples. Coffee and tea for three of them, the fourth going for a full lunch. One of the ladies noticed one of my glass cake stands:
"Look, I'm going to tell you something interesting," she began, which may have been her undoing, "my mother had one of those plates. It was just like that, and now I have it. And it's all the way across the world."
"Yes that is interesting" said her husband with what I detected was a large slice of sarcasm.

Today we had a group of three from Canada. They were Morris Dancers. The stick and rags kind. Not the bells brigade.
They showed me photographs of some of the groups they've seen and the places they've been. They're doing a tour and dancing their way around various towns in England, admitting that the troupes are often just performing for each other.
Today was a day off from the stick-hitting and they were dressed in their normal day wear. A shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment