Tuesday 1 July 2014

Compare and Contrast

Back to what passes for normal at the tea rooms today after my weekend foray into the world of compering. Upton Food and Beer Festival was the venue for a  WotsCooking demonstration kitchen, and I watched and commented on ten very different chefs creating more than twenty very different dishes VERY quickly.
I learned the following:
1. That compering can be fun.
2. That compering can be hard, or indeed easy, depending upon the chef and the audience.
3. That we should all be using rape seed oil because it's really versatile, cooks stuff well and is produced in this country.
4. That towers of food look really great.

I have decided to put the "towers of food" idea to the test in my own home.
Not because I want my creations to look like they've been produced in a restaurant by a chef with two rosettes or a star.
It's because I think this will force my children to eat with a knife and a fork.
Or rather with the fork used as a fork instead of as a spoon.
My constant refrain at mealtimes is "THIS IS A KNIFE AND FORK MEAL" which means they turn their fork over for a few seconds.
I take full responsibility for their table manners.
Largely because I haven't yet found anyone else to blame.

Tea rooms visitors usually do use their cutlery correctly so the "tower" policy will not yet be introduced.

No comments:

Post a Comment