Monday 21 September 2015

Life's a...

I have a friend who took possession of a new puppy at the weekend. She'd been to choose her a few weeks ago from a large litter. The man selling the pups shaved a little area of the puppy's leg and then later shaved a J on her head (he thought that was the first letter of my friend's name.) So many people were coming to see and choose he had to keep a record of who'd chosen which dog.
The puppy cried most of the first night. And at intervals during the second.
This afternoon my friend took her new puppy to the vets to have her first vaccinations.
The vet called her into the surgery and stroked the pup, asking all about her. She checked her ears. Then looked in her mouth. Then stretched out her legs.
Then the vet told my friend that the pup was not, in fact, a girl dog.
My friend left the surgery quickly and without really being able to speak.

So it turns out that the man selling the pups wasn't there when the dog was collected but had left instructions with his housesitter how to identify each one. Turns out there was another lady whose name also began with a J. Turns out she wanted a boy dog.
Turns out there are plenty of people who can't tell a boy dog from a girl dog.
And plenty of people who can, and who are laughing a lot at me my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment