Tuesday 9 April 2019

Bob’s your uncle

Saturday.
The sun was shining and we expected to be busy but we were surprised by a group of lycra clad cyclists who arrived before we’d even opened.
I couldn’t turn them away.
Cyclists are cake eaters.
A couple arrived soon after, “We followed the cyclists,” they said, “they always know the best places for refreshments.”
Then another couple.
We still hadn’t officially opened.
Then a man and his dog came in.
“I’m in shock,” was his opening statement, “I’ve just found my own name on a headstone in the churchyard. Robert Ward. It says he died in the mid 19th century.”
I told him the Wards were the Earls of Dudley, and this could be his ancestral home. He looked sceptical.
“I think we’d have been the poor relations,” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment