Thursday 19 May 2011

Some Like It Hot.

Back to blue sky best. There were lots of early birds who came for coffee ahead of a talk in the church. They were from an italianate society (don't know, didn't ask) and they came back for soup and cake.
I've been thrown a curved ball on chilli. Last week when I suggested to someone ordering it as a jacket spud filling that it was "quite fiery" she questioned me. Was it eye wateringly fiery? No, I said. She ordered it and when I asked for feedback she pretty much said "pah, that's not what I call fiery".
Yesterday a lady took one mouthful and brought it back. Too hot, she said, and opted for coleslaw instead.
Today another was making her choice.
"I'd like jacket potato with chilli" she said.
"It's quite hot" said I, my usual mantra. Most people smile and say that's just how they like it.
This lady looked really shocked. And chose something else.
So how hot should a chilli be?
Customers of the day were four lovely, funny, walking-boot-clad mates who arrived in the late afternoon for tea and cake. They weren't local, laughed that they didn't really know where they were and I urged them to visit the Church because it's a sight to behold and they couldn't walk the miles they had, come this close and NOT see it.
Turns out they're all vicars.
The last thing they probably wanted to do was see another church.
But when they left they dutifully turned up the path towards it.

2 comments:

  1. As one of the vicars who visited, i can only pass on that this was the best tea house I had ever been to.
    Fab welcome, great tea and food, and no ghastly 'more tea vicar' jokes.
    A place with real heart.
    Thanks Gill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quick. Take the more-tea-vicar caption off that photo.

    ReplyDelete