Friday 12 September 2014

Court jester

He came in on his own for coffee and cake, with the audio guide from the Court round his neck. He was an older, tall man.
Then he left, presumably to continue his tour of the Court.
He returned at lunchtime and ordered a homecooked ham salad. But no onions on the salad please as he has an allergy to them. They make him pass out.
We take these things very seriously, obviously so I went out to tell him that the ham is cooked with onion, would that make a difference? He was willing to chance it, he said, and he sat near the counter so we could keep an eye on him...
He cleared his plate.
I asked him if he'd enjoyed his lunch.
"The salad and new potatoes were very nice," he said. "But the ham..." (I held my breath as he paused. Deliberately) "was to die for."
He beamed.
He didn't pass out.
I skipped back to the kitchen.

A quieter day, with a busy blip at lunchtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment