Thursday 14 April 2016

A cross to bear.

It's wet.
It reminds me a little too much of 2012.
That word "unsettled" keeps making an appearance in the weather forecast.
Even on the bright days we feel we're never too far away from the next shower.
And so it hasn't been the best of season starts for us - I can't get the milk order right, I can't get the staffing right, I order too much bread or too few teacakes.
That said I am enjoying myself immensely. I have time to talk to customers. I play around with the gift displays, I make red onion marmalade in the middle of the day and drink way too much tea.

Today a Canadian man ordered coffee and cake and asked if we would charge his phone for him as he was out of juice. Of course. We took phone, charger and plug adaptor into the kitchen and Sara asked loudly if anyone needed to make any long-distance phone calls. He laughed.

My favourite interaction came with a couple who arrived mid afternoon for tea and cake.
"I'd like something chocolatey," said he.
I suggested the chocolate and praline cluster. A personal favourite.
"Has it got nuts in it?" he asked, and then when I told him it had, "I can't eat nuts. I do like them but they get under my plate."
"She doesn't want to know that," his wife said sharply.
He had a nut-less brownie.



No comments:

Post a Comment