Wednesday 27 March 2013

Inglorious Mud

Ta-da.
The tea rooms opened its doors today for my fourth season.
Seven months of seven days a week lie ahead.
I was making a double espresso to get Freda through the soup-and scone-making process (always tricky on the first day back at school) when I noticed it was snowing. SNOWING. Last year at this time people were sipping their tea in the garden.
I am always genuinely surprised when people come on days like this but come they did. Not in huge numbers but in friendly pairs. All were people who'd been before. Not only had they come through snow but along a mud-caked track.
They all need to wash their cars now.
It was warm inside the tea room, but the china was freezing when it came out of the cupboards. And no one spent much time in the loos - Baltic cold in all of them.
To those who ventured out, I salute you.

No comments:

Post a Comment