Tuesday 4 June 2019

aide-memoir

June already and not enough posts.
The problem is that although many little things happen which would make a good story I have a tendency to forget them once I’m back home.
I need a notepad to jot down things as they happen.
We had a Christening party on Sunday for forty guests, our second for the same family in which are a number of vegetarians and two vegans. They had ordered sandwiches, mini tartlets, honey-mustard sausages, cakes and scones and lots of tea.
We always have vegan cakes so that wasn’t difficult but I wanted the vegan sandwich fillings to be interesting so I went on a google hunt and came up with peanut butter and fresh strawberry. On the morning itself my resolve failed but my team insisted we make them anyway, saying that even if they didn’t taste good they’d look amazing among the other, more usual offerings of houmous, cucumber etc.
After half an hour I went into the party and all the vegan sandwiches had gone. I approached the mum, Holly, and asked if she’d like us to make another round? She was surprised, “we actually only have one vegan here” she said and went over to talk to an older man to ask if he’d like more?
What he asked for was more of the peanut butter and strawberry.
Don’t think it’ll make the every day menu yet but the Witley strawberry season has just started so watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment