Saturday 8 June 2019

I won’t be asking THAT again

Today we had a surprise 70th birthday lunch.
It’s been in the diary for ages, arranged by two sons for their lovely mum. They’d told her she was coming for lunch but not that her two sisters and some of her friends were going to be there. They’d brought balloons and a banner and glasses for a toast of something fizzy and a beautifully decorated birthday cake.
They set up a camera to capture the look on her face when she walked in.
As they all left, a couple of hours later, I congratulated her. I told her it was wonderful that she has raised sons who treat their mum with so much thoughtfulness.

I almost got through the whole day without a gaff.
Almost.
Two ladies (in their 60s?) came in late this afternoon. They were very alike.
“Sisters?” I asked, “or twins?”
“Sisters,” one of them replied quickly, “there’s a big age gap”.

No comments:

Post a Comment