Thursday 3 April 2014

Ajar

Today we were still in the closed season.
We reopen tomorrow.
However.
A lovely man stuck his head through the door as I was putting the cloths on tables and asked whether he and his wife could possibly have a cup of tea? I told him if he didn't mind that we weren't quite ready to receive visitors, and that the carpets were still damp from the morning's deep clean, that I would make them some tea.
"Any chance of any cake?" he said.
I said I was due a delivery from Claire within the half hour. He beamed.
Claire duly arrived bearing Victoria Sponges, carrot cakes, quiches galore and the Simnel cake I'd asked her to make for the opening day.
Both husband and wife chose the Simnel cake.
Then asked if they could each take a piece home with them.

I've ordered more Simnel cake.

Two more men came in this afternoon desperate for a cup of tea.
It feels quite like old times already.

No comments:

Post a Comment