Sunday 4 July 2010

Diet

We've had friends staying with us this weekend. Clare offered to help me open up this morning and I bit off her hand. She set out the cakes in the display fridge, made the outside tables presentable, folded a mountain of napkins and was still there when the coach party from Shropshire descended at noon. The guy who'd organised it said he'd noticed a lot of people had had cake: "which is surprising given how many of us are diabetics." Among the last customers of the day were two men for tea and cake ahead of a recital in the church. One asked if there was anything dairy in the fruit cake. I told him there'd be butter in it. He asked about milk. I couldn't be sure, I said. I don't know Anna's (secret) recipe but it could easily have milk in it. "I'm lactose intolerant," he said, "but I'll have it anyway." Two different people asked me for soya milk (we don't have it). Three people ordered gluten free cake. Two people asked if the soup is gluten-free. It is. And four people ordered half-shot lattes. Now, I love lattes. But half a shot?

No comments:

Post a Comment