Thursday 8 July 2010

Sometimes the customer is just plain wrong.

I broke a cup this morning and was slightly off-the-pace all day, which was unfortunate given that we were REALLY busy. Busy can be fun, and when an old friend who used to make cappuccinos for a living happened to drop in at the point that 3 cappuccinos had been ordered I welcomed his frothing expertise with open arms. Then came the complainer. She said people who'd ordered AFTER her had their food BEFORE her. Becky explained that those who order tea/cakes/scones etc will have their trays before those who are waiting for lunches but she insisted she was right. I went out to see her: "I understand you're not happy?" I began. "I didn't say I wasn't happy," she said, "but I'm annoyed that people who came after us..." etc etc. I apologised. She said she didn't want an apology. Then she pointed to the children. "They're hungry," she said, "and I wish you would just admit you've lost our order." We hadn't. "I don't run my business like that," she continued, "In my business it's first come first served" As it is here, of course, but I shouldn't have bothered trying to explain, she'd made up her mind. "I'm a steward up in the church" she went on,"and I do a lot of work for Witley Court, but I won't bother coming here in the future." So some good came out of it then.
After she'd had her lunch she came in for strawberries and chocolate cake. She was like a different person. The jacket potato must have been good.

No comments:

Post a Comment