Wednesday 23 March 2011

Flap

Took the cake display cabinet apart this afternoon WITHOUT ANY INSTRUCTIONS. Pam and I kept our concerns to ourselves that it wouldn't go back together but, well, I think we should be on the Krypton factor (if they ever make that again). It's now pristine and ready for the millionaire's shortbread and its mates.
I'm considering introducing flapjacks to the tea rooms. I've always had a bit of a downer on them because they're such a staple in our house and they're so easy to make that I don't consider them special. Also I've resisted because I never know how they'll turn out. Consistency of consistency is not my strong point. Sometimes they're sticky. Sometimes they're rock hard. Sometimes they slip out of the tin. Sometimes they cling for dear life and break into unappealing pieces.
However I've had a breakthrough. I've bought a silicone square thing and flapjacks just fall out of it.
Now all I have to do is to remember to take them out of the oven before they become teeth breakers.

2 comments:

  1. The web seems to think oven temperature is the key factor in defining "chewy" and "hard" flapjacks. 175C for keeping your teeth, and 190C for dentures; time less critical - between 25 and 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah. I use 170C(fan - equivalent for non-fan 190C) for 20 mins exactly. But I shall investigate/trial the lower temperature. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete