Sunday 11 April 2010

Let's call the whole thing off

While I'm wondering about fruit versus plain scones and where cheese scones fit in to the debate, another question has emerged. I reckon about 50% of the people through the door call them scones, rhyming with "bones". The rest pronounce it to rhyme with "the Fonz".
The tricky bit for me is this. If I say it back to them, as on occasions I must, do I repeat what they have said, half the time counter-intuitively? Or do I stick to my pronunciation and risk sounding as if I'm correcting them?
Customer of the day was the little boy who asked if there was anything in my shop for £2. He bought a piece of millionnaire's shortbread and a bag of crisps, and still had 5p for his moneybox.

5 comments:

  1. Gosh you can't argue with the value can you ?
    How did your Woman's Hour celebrity visitor get on ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms Gravy came on Friday en famille. Then on Sunday Katie K came with her sons and daughter. I am being well supported by friends! When are you coming up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It may not be til summer now ! All very well for those with Worcestershire relatives. Any nice camping near you ?That's a grand idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stick to 'fonze' and talking of scones at this very moment Nickyxx is scouring N Devon for cream teas (with fruited scones).Will GWTR consider cream teas to lure this man northwards?
    Hughxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. We do cream teas! We use double instead of clotted, but as of this afternoon I have clotted in the fridge for the small wedding party tomorrow. Come on Hugh. Give us a go.

    ReplyDelete