Thursday 17 June 2010

A Different Approach

This morning as I made a new batch of chilli the 'phone rang. It was the nice girl from the till roll company with her monthly call. I've never ordered anything from her as I inherited a large supply, and I felt a bit guilty about it, but today she mentioned ink for the till so I asked her how much is it? She said she'd find out and get back to me...
Five minutes later (I'm still making the chilli) a different woman rang. This one not quite so pleasant as it turned out, or else in a very bad mood. I had to buy 6 of the ink things at a time, and it was 19 pounds something. I asked if there was a delivery charge. Yes, she said, £2. I said "oh gawd". She said they had to charge delivery. I said, "how much was it again? 19 pounds what?" She said: "Don't be so rude. Get them from somewhere else." AND SHE PUT THE PHONE DOWN. My gast was flabbered. What on earth had I said to upset her so much?
The day improved. We hosted a funeral tea for the friends and family of a local lady in her 90s. We were very busy at lunch when quiche was the top order. And a lady from Wolverhampton said that we'd been recommended by 3 different people and that she would continue to spread the word. This is the last week for local asparagus which means a] more thought will be needed for soup ingredients and b] my 5 minute journey to work will no longer have to include the detour via the farm in the village.

5 comments:

  1. Watercress soup (served hot or chilled)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such rudeness. Shocking. Make yourself a nice cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pea harvest starts next week, Gill. I know this cos I did an interview with the commercial director of the processed vegetable grower's association yesterday.

    Local radio at its best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill, you've changed your photo! This one is much more James Bond. I love the soup suggestions. Both feel good for warmer weather too. Does pea always have to be with mint?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This lady suggests making a stock from the pea pods, then making a soup with peas, cream and tarragon. Avoids the pairing with ham or mint. But might be a bit of a palaver. http://fedbabychili.wordpress.com/2010/05/22/chilled-english-pea-soup-made-with-pea-shell-consomme/

    Photo changed in a bid to be taken more seriously... probably a bit too late

    ReplyDelete