Wednesday 9 June 2010

In clover

Some go the way of the charm offensive. Today I just did offensive. A group of pleasant photography students, mixed in age and gender, asked if they could bring their Edwardian lady model into the garden to be photographed. They broke for coffee and later for lunch. One man asked for "ham and cheese and mayonnaise on white, no butter." I told him I'd have to charge extra for the extra filling. He countered by asking for a discount for NOT having butter. I told him he had no chance as he was having mayo instead, and then added "you sod". I don't know why. He laughed, I reddened. His friend's eyes widened: "Did you mean to say that out loud?". And then ordered the same, on granary. He came back in before leaving to say he'd "enjoyed the banter".
One person ordered my chilli filling. Said it was hot but just how she likes it.
Later in the afternoon a man came in with a 4-leaf clover. He said for every one there are 14,000 3-leafers, but if you found one you could usually find more in the same place. Sure enough he brought in more from the top of the garden. When I left this evening Mike was mowing the lawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment