Tuesday 8 June 2010

Power

The day started badly. I did an online cash and carry shop which somehow got lost in the web ether. My first job at the tearooms was to change a lightbulb. As I manhandled one which clearly didn't fit into the bayonet-gap I heard the drinks fridge and display fridge grind to a halt. The emergency exit lights came on. A bad sign (literally?). I had knocked out all the power. I checked the trips. All fine. For half an hour I mentally went through the awfulness of closing for the day before I'd even opened, and decided that at least it wasn't a day when we had a coach booked in. I called a neighbour. They had power. I called the supplier. It was still coming into the building. Then I called Mike the electrician who told me there was a bigger, fatter, more important trip-switch in an entirely different place. The fridges whirred back into action. Then the cash and carry rang to say they'd found my order. Joy.
So I made the chilli and added it to the chalkboard with a sense of fear and pride. I was afraid it was a little fiery but Jennifer and Freda tasted it and gave it the thumbs up so I didn't change it. I shall have to wait at least another day to find out what anyone else thinks as not a single person sheltering from the heavy rain chose it. I wasn't there for much of the day. I spent lunchtime feeding my tomato plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment