Tuesday 11 May 2010

Rush hour

Today Nancie opened up for me so that I could take the kids to the dentist, the first time I hadn't been there at the start of the day. At lunchtime a very calm-voiced Nancie rang to ask if I could help out because they were "a little busy".
I was greeted by scenes of post lunch carnage. Every table in the conservatory had a pile of dirty plates and cups on top and the remnants of kids' cheese sandwiches beneath. Baked bean-smeared high chairs were dotted around. It felt like the aftermath of a toddler food fight. And there was still a queue. We cleared and wiped and washed up. I delivered cappuccinos (frothy. still got it.) to a couple outside: "Are you the reinforcements?" they asked, "I don't know why they don't get more staff here". I felt obliged to inform them that I was to blame. Unless we can blame the customers for turning up on a random Tuesday, out of nowhere, in large numbers and all at the same time?
Yes, let's do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment