Saturday 29 May 2010

A time and a place

A second coach party from Kent today. It was a rainy, grim day so had it not been for them we'd have been pretty quiet. Still the slow afternoon allowed us to discuss coleslaw. I mooted that we should make our own. We (Mary, Nancie and I) then talked about recipes, how and when we'd do it, how to minimise waste. We're going to buy cabbage, carrots etc after the Bank Hol and try it out. I kept my powder dry about introducing chilli as a jacket potato filling. Perhaps we'll talk that over on the next slow day. This evening a woman arrived as we were closing to say she was "very upset". We'd moved her dad's bench (a bench with a plaque bearing his name). I had no idea there was a bench position. I went out with her, told her not to be upset and to feel free to move it wherever she wanted to. She didn't smile. At all. I pointed out that we'd treated the bench before opening up, and cleaned up the plaque. I didn't point out that the bench had been in the same place for more than 2 months. I wonder how often they visit it?

No comments:

Post a Comment