Monday 31 May 2010

Change is gonna come

Today was the best of the big days so far. Cake, cake and more cake was cut, displayed, served and eaten together with a lake of tea. The magnet system proved a winner - it needs tweaking but it really works. My stress levels stayed surprisingly low despite the crowds because I wasn't seeing trays backing up. The first lunch order (jacket potatoes) went into the kitchen at 1145, the last (ham on granary) at 1650. I fought a constant battle with the contents of the till: I started the day with loads of change. I even had back-up pound coins and 10ps. The situation would look healthy one minute and then 3 customers and 3 twenty pound notes later and I was staring at a problem. But then there's always someone who empties their pocket/purse of coins at exactly the right time to pull me from the brink. And I have to stop myself kissing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment