Saturday 8 May 2010

Taste

Teacakes started the day, and teacakes ended it. Three people in a row at 1045. Three in a row at 1620. I don' t "get" teacakes. They're one of the things we sell which I would never choose. I think it's pretty big of me to stock them, actually (that's the Saturday night vino talking). Egg sandwiches. There's another thing I can't abide. Cheese scones - what's to like? I should say that there are many things on the menu which I love, and would happily live on. Cake being one example.
Today I overheard the following: "his mum killed someone because he was being cruel to a horse". There's the start of a novel I wouldn't read.

3 comments:

  1. Teacakes depend on being served hot, slightly burnt, with too much just-melting top quality butter slathered on top in the kitchen. For egg sandwiches, mix two chopped boiled eggs with one lightly scrambled egg, and a touch of mayonnaise.

    Cheese scones, I agree, you can keep....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way to do teacakes is to butter them generously and then pop them under the grill to melt the butter.

    If you toast them and then deliver them to the table with a pat of refrigerated butter they are guaranteed to be cold and disappointing.

    Malvern Christian Bookshop (The Littleton Well) do the best teacakes we've ever experienced. How about rising to the challenge next time we're in? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's two people saying we should butter them ourselves. Interesting. Neil, I shall try it out on YOU.

    ReplyDelete