Sunday 26 September 2010

Bark and Bite

A very busy weekend. But it didn't take me by surprise. This time.
Yesterday (Saturday) we had Club 94, a group of 16 made up of men who all retired in 1994 from their jobs in a newtown creation quango (their words, not mine). They came with their wives and were delightful - funny, complimentary, nice. The early afternoon was marred only by a woman who ordered tea and then ate her own sandwiches in the conservatory. When I tackled her about it she said she was about to rehearse and couldn't rehearse on an empty stomach, her friends had eaten their lunch in the car but she'd been driving so she couldn't, and anyway she hadn't "done me out" of anything because she'd bought tea. Grrrrrrr. I thought her rude. Would she do that anywhere else I wonder?
She was a member of the Swansea Bach Choir who were performing in the Church last night and came to us after their rehearsal for sandwiches, cakes and tea at 6pm. All 31 of them. I only wish I could have barred her - turned into Babs Windsor and yelled "gerroutomyteeerumz". But I didn't.
Then today 51 for a buffet lunch. Protestant Church Musicians from all over Europe: Norway, Sweden, France, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland. They sang grace before they ate. Beautiful. They particularly liked scones with jam and cream, left a very generous tip and not much food.

No comments:

Post a Comment