Sunday 5 September 2010

True Romance

The jacket potato is taking over. Despite really ropey weather today we turned into spud city. The dreadful colour soup was improved with the addition of cream and there were even some nice comments about it. One table asked what herbs were in it (answer: all of them. And cumin). I took one couple's order. When the lady went off to the loo the gent stayed at the counter. I told him I'd bring his order through to the conservatory, "I'm waiting for my girlfriend," he said, "I have to wait here and walk through with her or she won't be happy." I told him he must have been trained over years. He said they'd only been together a year but had been at school together. "Friends Reunited?" I asked. "Facebook" he answered.

2 comments:

  1. Please publish full recipe for this alarming soup. Shouldn't your mind be turning to roast butternut squash/pumpkin soup, and apple and blackberry pies ?

    As for fine tates, prick potatoes all over, wipe with vegetable oil, and bake fast at 200c (30-40 mins). Halve tates, scoop out flesh, mix with crunchy bacon bits, grated cheese and chopped spring onions. Pile back into half skins, grate more cheese over the top and re-heat for 5-10 mins. (Half a spud is enough for anyone....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recipe? What recipe?
    Can't wait for squash and pumpkins. I'm looking out for suitable ideas.
    The spuds sound amazing. You missed your calling.

    ReplyDelete