Friday 24 September 2010

Vegetunian

A miserable day but we had a group of fourteen ladies booked in for lunch. They hadn't preordered. The organiser told me weeks ago they were old school friends and didn't mind waiting for food - they always had plenty to chat about. The first one through the door scanned the menu on the board and wrinkled her nose. "Is that all you've got?" she said, still wrinkling.
I said I was sorry, but was there nothing that she liked?
"Not really," she said. More wrinkling.
Then: "I don't eat chicken." At this point I should point out that there's nothing involving chicken on the menu. Except eggs.
Then she said she was a vegetarian.
Then she ordered a tuna jacket potato. I didn't point out that tuna is a fish, and therefore was once alive.
Late afternoon a couple with an indistiguishable foreign accent and faultless English had coffee and cake. She was wrapped in a headscarf and said she'd dressed poorly for the cold weather.
They left a very nice comment in the visitors book. Turned out to be from Iceland.

No comments:

Post a Comment