Monday 20 September 2010

Keep smiling through

A gloriously sunny return to Summer. The WI artists (and there were two men among them) numbered a staggering 19. They meet fortnightly to sketch and paint, and had never had such a good turnout. It proved to be a very busy lunchtime leaving them aside. There were just two of us working and we took a deep breath and just kept going as more and more people arrived. One of the ladies, with the words: "you can always count on the WI" began bringing in trays and washing up. Then Jean, eighty-something and stewarding today in the church, rolled up her sleeves and cleared and wiped tables. Said she really enjoyed it. Finally Sara arrived. I would say "fresh from playgroup" but I'm not sure that's possible. The peak was over, and there was only a bearded, flirtatious, solitary man from Northampton to remark that his wait for his jacket potato with coleslaw had been made worthwhile by my smile.
O.
K.

1 comment:

  1. Are you talking about the man with the white stick and dog that I helped to his seat? And what do you mean....Finally Sara arrived, you've made me sound like I was late! You know what this means don't you? It's espressos at dawn, I'd have said cappucinos but you're better at the frothy bit than I am! If "the Man" had told you your smile lit up the room I'd have been suspicious that he was from "Friends of the Earth" (half way there with the beard) and trying to cut down on your electricity consumption!! Smiley, smiley Carol Smiley xx

    ReplyDelete